Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Designing a Cover for an eBook

So today I tackled what seemed like an impossible project:  designing a kick-ass cover for my eBook.  I started in Microsoft Paint, which proved impossible unless you have an exact design in mind.

Design tip: Do not place text unless you're absolutely sure you know where you want it.  Once you drop a text box, you can't get it back.  News that would have been useful YESTERDAY.

Anyway, I gave up on Paint and fooled around in PowerPoint instead.  Much better!  It's a million times easier to maneuver the shapes and text boxes and anything else you're using, like images.  Then you just save it as a JPEG, open the file in Paint to make sure it all shows up properly, and you're good to go.  I have to tweak the size in PowerPoint to make sure the pixels come out all right in Paint (since PowerPoint doesn't let you size by pixels, as far as I know).

Once I've got it all nailed down, I'll post the JPEG here so you guys can see what the heck I'm talking about.

Seeing the cover makes it all feel so real.  I'll have an eBook out soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment