Monday, June 13, 2011

Woo-hoo! Success!

So....how many of you write stories about the devil?  No?  Well, me neither.  Not usually, that is.  But I wrote one last semester for a creative writing class where the devil was a stray dog.  It was cute and funny and had lots of 80s references (like Garbage Pail Kids, Wheel of Fortune, and Fun Dip), but at its heart, I meant for it to be a modern version of the medieval morality play, Everyman. I don't think anyone in the class got that, so maybe I didn't convey it very well.

Or did I?

I submitted the story (called "And the Devil Said, Wait") to the Library of the Living Dead Press, for its upcoming print anthology entitled Hellology.

And guess what?  My story is one of 13 chosen for the anthology!  Woo-hoo!  When I got the email, I told my husband and tried to persuade him to buy me a donut.  It didn't fly, but I did get a hug.

Just to give you guys a little taste, here's the story's opening:
I met the devil when I was seven years old.  He came to me in the shape of a dog, a bony brown mutt with a long face and two missing teeth.  I pet him, called him a nice boy, and then turned to go back inside.  He cleared his throat and said, “Wait…”  That was all it took.  I was his.  I would have done anything for a dog that talked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment