Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Let's Get Organized

I can't resist it.  The files, the folders, the plastic cartons, the pencil cups...the urge to organize runs deeply in my blood.  I do it for fun.  How sick is that?  I organized my DVD and CD collections into genres.  I organized my dresses by length, so I could double-stack shoe racks beneath the miniskirts.  I group shoes by occasion, then color, then texture.  My stemware is sorted by occasion, then height.  It's a sickness, people, it really is.

Of course, there are always ways writers can use organization to better effect.  So here's what I'm gonna do for the new year.  I'm going to make a calendar that's all about writing.  Not the calendar I use for grad school assignments or things like doctor's appointments or when the propane guy is coming.  A calendar just for writing.  In print.  With a red star placed on every other Friday.  Those red-star days are submission days.  I want to send something out at least every other Friday.  That means I need a steady supply of stories good enough to print, and a list of markets they might be right for.

In the past, my submissions have been sporadic.  Three times a year, I send out dozens of envelopes and then anxiously collect rejection letters in the following weeks.  But I think I like the idea of forcing myself to be more disciplined in the way I collect those rejection letters.  Humans are creatures of habit.  We brush our teeth twice a day.  We go to the dentist twice a year.  We go to the grocery store once a week.  Why can't submitting stories be like that?  Why not carve out a few hours a week to print, stamp, and send?  There's no good reason not to.

So let's do it!  Hop to it.  Friday's getting closer all the time.

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea! Scheduling time for submissions—I could get used to it. I'm working on becoming better organized. I lost my phone twice within the same week, and decided that enough was enough. Glad to have some ideas to incorporate my life goals with my writing goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help! I'm coming to realize the value of putting things in writing--silly for a writer not to understand this sooner, right?

    Still, when it comes to the little life things we all know we should be doing but aren't, putting it in writing has a way of making me work toward it that I just won't do if I'm using a list in my head as motivation.

    First submission date is a week from Friday...so this Friday, I need to schedule time to research markets. Rotating researching markets with submitting can help take some of the pressure off of finding a huge block of time to handle it all. Plus, on Friday, I'm generally in a better mood than, say, a Tuesday.

    I hope we can both get organized this year!

    ReplyDelete